Wednesday 8 February 2017

February is Cholangiocarcinoma month.

Its that time of year again - February is cholangiocarcinoma month. Not sure what it is let alone how to say it?

Don't worry, you are not alone. Before 1st November 2013 I had no idea what it was and it took me a couple of weeks to learn how to say it.

It's actually bile duct cancer, a type of liver cancer. Quite rare with around 2,000 people diagnosed each year. sadly many are diagnosed at a late stage as its quite a difficult cancer to diagnose and can often be confused with other illnesses.

Cholangiocarcinoma is pronounced "kol-an-gee-oh-car-sin-oh-ma". and before 1st Nov.'13 I had never heard of it. That was the day that my Mom was diagnosed with it. She was stage 4 by then and although she was given 4-6 months she actually died 5 weeks later.
 
I turned to the internet as many of us do and found AMMF who are the UK's only cholangiocarcinoma charity. They were, and still are, a great source of support for me and helped me understand a lot more about this rare cancer.

Since then I have been fundraising for them by making and selling my handmade jewellery; raised over £1300.00 so far  and now I make and donate the items direct to AMMF and they pass the items on to others who are holding fundraising events for them.



Please pop over to the AMMF website and help raise awareness of this awful cancer. There is very little research or knowledge about it but AMMF are doing all they can to change that.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post.

Kaz xx

No comments:

Post a Comment