Tuesday 23 January 2018

Change of plan!!!

OK, so I wrote a blog post on Sunday about how I was going to be taking a step back from the vast amount of awareness raising that I try and do for womb cancer. You may have read it, according to the stats around 400 people have!!!

Anyway, Sunday was a bad day for me. It was 8 years since I went into hospital for my hysterectomy - 4 days early due to being severely anaemic and needing 6 blood transfusions before the op could take place.
Also the depression was creeping back in so I wasn't really in a good place. As I said in the previous post, I had been mulling over taking a step back for some time but had never actually bitten the bullet and done it.
However the past 48 hours have changed all that.

I received so many comments via social media about my decision and some of them made me realise that I couldn't leave what I had started with the job only half done. One thing I am not is a quitter.

So, I've decided that I'm not going anywhere. The womb cancer awareness will continue. I am not about to walk away from something that I have devoted the past 7 years of my life to.
What I will be doing however, is taking a good long look at how I do what I do and structure my campaigning activities in order to achieve the best outcome.

One thing that has come out of the past couple of days is that I care too much when others don't.
WCSUK has never been about me. I don't like the attention it brings me and I don't like the fact that I have to keep talking about my cancer experience in order to try and raise awareness.
I do it though, because I think its important that we as women talk more openly about our gynaecological health issues, that includes things like periods, hysterectomies, menopause and cancer because there are so many taboos around these subjects and that is not good for anyone.

It's often said that these things are "women's issues" - I believe they are everyone's issues - men and women. Men have Mothers, Wives, Sisters and Daughters. Surely they care about them and want the best for them so we all need to be talking a lot more about these issues and I for one do not intend to stop talking about them.

Using the platform of WCSUK as well as my personal social media I will talk about the issue of womb cancer awareness, and other gynaecological issues as well as women's issues in general for as long as I have breath left in me.

We all, women and men, have to talk more openly  about these issues because they affect all of us.
I hope I can count on you to join me and help raise awareness, smash taboos and stigma and generally make the world a better place for all of us.
Heck, if we're going to aim for anything lets aim high.

Kaz.  xx

No comments:

Post a Comment