Sunday 25 September 2016

Busy, busy, busy!

Well, day 25 of womb cancer awareness month and it's been a very busy September so far.
As those of you who have followed this blog for some time will know, I was diagnosed with womb cancer at the end of 2009.

Now, although womb cancer is the most common gynaecological cancer there is very little awareness of it so when I was diagnosed its not really surprising that I knew nothing about it. I had heard of cervical and ovarian cancer, but never womb cancer.

So when I started WCSUK (the national not for profit support and awareness organisation I run) back in April 2011 it soon became apparent that it wasn't just me that was unaware of this type of cancer so as well as offering support to those women like me who had been diagnosed, the organisation began raising much needed awareness as well.
In the absence of any national awareness campaigns and the lack of any other  womb cancer organisations, WCSUK was filling a void and providing support and information to women across the UK.

Over 5 years on, we are still doing that because there is still no national awareness campaign and there are still women being diagnosed with womb cancer who have never heard of it before.
September is womb cancer awareness month and since 2011 we have used the month to raise much needed awareness. Most of it happens online - using FB and Twitter to network and reach out to women.

Social media is a great tool for that and is used by many organisations, big and small to get their message out.
So this month has seen me virtually tied to my laptop - writing blogs, updating the website, connecting on FB and Twitter, running a Thunderclap campaign and lots of other stuff.
It's hard work, and stressful at times (especially considering the state of my own health, which isn't good these days!) but it's good to know that what I, and some of the other peach sisters are doing, is making a difference, even if it is only a small one.
What is it they say about small acorns and mighty oak trees?

No comments:

Post a Comment